Thursday, July 3, 2008

OUR ONLY TRUE SOURCE OF HELP

PSALM 121:1-2
"I WILL LIFT UP MY EYES TO THE HILLS-- FROM WHENCE COMES MY HELP?" "MY HELP COMES FROM THE LORD, WHO MADE HEAVEN AND EARTH."
Today I sit looking at the beautiful, lush mountains of eastern Tennessee. Do I have the right to look unto those hills and beyond and expect help from the Lord? The religious charlatans of our day, the theological moneychangers say no.
Men everywhere sing "...amazing grace how sweet the sound that saves a wretch like me..." Yet these quasi-religious experts willingly apply these words to themselves and a few who they have deemed worthy of this grace. They disallow any right of other wretches to the grace of God. Why? I believe by experience I have learned that it is because they have imagined my sins have had a negative ripple effect in their lives.
May I ask whose wretchedness does not affect others? It is much like throwing a rock into the ocean. The ripples seem to go on endlessly. Our sins affect others in this way. But God forgives the sin and gives one the right to experience his grace despite the ripples. The effects of men's sins had a great impact on the one who was willing to die for our sins. "...He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; The chastisement for our peace was upon Him,..."(Isa. 53:5)
What a piece of work a man is who would deny all wretches access to this Saviour. Men attempting to truly look "...to the hills..." are limited in their access by these self-appointed charlatans who would stand in their way.
The book of Psalms is a treatise about how God deals with those who are persecuted and ridiculed by such people. The Psalmist would say..."Our soul is exceedingly filled with the scorn of those who are at ease."(Ps. 121:4) David said "If it had not been the Lord who was on our side, when men rose up against us, then they would have swallowed us alive, when their wrath was kindled against us;"(Ps. 124:2-3) Don't despair if you would look to God for help and someone would stand in your way with the excuse that you are not worthy...The Psalmist wrote..."As the mountains surround Jerusalem, so the Lord surrounds His people from this time forth and forever."(Ps. 125:2)
It was my blessed privilege yesterday to read the book of Psalms while at every moment I could look out the window at those beautiful mountains. The book is replete with the plight of man and the attitude of God toward a man who seeks Him. Help is available. We may have to look beyond the moneychangers of our day, but help is definitely there. Note some encouragements.
Ps. 3:4..."I cried to the Lord with my voice, and He heard me from His holy hill." Ps. 5:6..."The Lord abhors the bloodthirsty and deceitful man." Ps. 5:11..."...let all those rejoice who put their trust in You; Let them ever shout for joy, because you defend them;" Ps. 9:10..."...You, Lord, have not forsaken those who seek you." Ps. 9:12..."...He does not forget the cry of the humble." Ps. 15:1..."Lord...," "...Who may dwell in Your holy hill?" Ps. 15:3..."He who does not backbite with his tongue, nor does evil to his neighbor..." Ps. 18:2..."The Lord is my rock and my fortress and deliverer;..." Ps. 18:6..."In my distress I called upon the Lord, and cried out to my God; He heard my voice from His temple, and my cry came before Him, even to His ears." Ps. 18:27...You will save the humble people..." Ps. 18:50..."...He..." "...shows mercy to His anointed..." Ps. 25:3..."...let those be ashamed who deal treacherously without cause." Ps. 25:9..."The humble He guides in justice..." Ps.27:1..."The Lord is my light and my salvation..." Ps. 27:14..."Wait on the Lord...and He shall strengthen your heart..." Ps. 30:2..."O Lord my God, I cried out to You, and You healed me." Ps. 31:12..."I am forgotten like a dead man, out of mind;" Ps. 31:13..."...I hear the slander of many;..." Ps. 31:14..."But as for me, I trust in You, O Lord;..." Ps. 32:5..."I said, I will confess my transgressions to the Lord," and You forgave the iniquity of my sin." Ps. 34:4..."I sought the Lord, and He heard me,..." Ps. 37:23..."The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord,..." Ps. 37:24..."Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down;..." Ps. 56:11..."In God I have put my trust; I will not be afraid what man can do to me?" Ps. 57:1..."...in the shadow of Your wings I will make my refuge..." Ps. 66:20..."Blessed be God, who has not turned away my prayer, nor His mercy from me." Ps. 69:32..."...you who seek God, your hearts shall live." Ps. 101:7..."He who works deceit shall not dwell within my house..." Ps. 142:4..."Look on my right hand and see, For there is no one who acknowledges me, refuge has failed me; no one cares for my soul." Ps. 142:5..." I cried out to You, O Lord; I said You are my refuge..." Ps. 145:8..."The Lord is gracious and full of compassion..." Ps. 146:5..." Happy is he who has the God of Jacob for his help." Ps. 150:6..."Let everything that has breath praise the Lord."
David is an explicit example of a man who was sinful. Yet if one reads Psalms 32 and Psalms 51 where he asks for the forgiveness of his sins one cannot miss the fact that David was forgiven. He was a sinner and knew it. But he also knew he was a forgiven sinner. The same is true today of those who are pentitent and go to a loving heavenly Father for their forgiveness. Despite what may be conjectured by some we can truly "...look unto the hills..." "...from whence comes..." our help. And " our help comes from the Lord. "...who made heaven and earth." Please do not let anyone deny you that right. That is between you and your loving heavenly Father.

No comments: