Monday, October 27, 2008

TRANSPARENCY #2


David and Jonathan were such true friends. They were soul-mates. They understood one another and accepted one another.
It is said of Jonathan "...the soul of Jonathan was knit to David and Jonathan loved him as his own soul."(I Sam. 18:1)
A friend of mine who lives in Wiggins, Ms. recently read one of my blogs I had written about my deceased friend Sonny Sziszak. In writing I had referred to our friendship as being something like David's friendship with Jonathan as revealed in I Sam. 18:1. My friend from Wiggins pointed me to what David said about Jonathan when Jonathan died in battle with the Philistines. David said "I am distressed for you, my brother Jonathan; You have been very pleasant to me..."(II Sam. 1:26)
-
Who can find a better example of real transparency than that of David and Jonathan?
Transparency is defined as "allowing light to pass through" "easily understood" "frank".
And what a popular word it is in various circles today. This became so very evident to me recently when I heard a political candidate say "Let's be transparent." And I thought, "what" "why"? Just look at the way they depict one another now without so much transparency. Think how bad it would get if they were truly transparent.
-
There was a time in our culture when transparency of any sort was a no, no. It was considered weakness. The strong, silent type was glamorized. Men were to keep things to themselves. Most everyone was reared in that setting. Don't talk about mistakes, doubts, or shortcomings. Express your self-confidence, independence, dependability, strength at all costs. Don't be a puddin. Suck it up we were told. And anyway everybody has problems so no one is interested in yours.
I seem to remember that Paul said that when he was weak then he was strong. He was not at all hesitant about revealing his shortcomings over and over again. He even informed us that our individual works were worth nothing. He told us that pride goes before the fall and if we think we are something we need to be careful. But I am getting ahead of myself.
-
Indeed transparency is a scriptural concept. There will be a time when at a moment everything will come into the light, even those things which are done in private behind closed doors.
So, knowing this, one day in a little church building I decided to be transparent. I became very transparent with Jesus. And He said, son, come into my kingdom. You are forgiven. And He told me that he had come to save and not to condemn. Praise His blessed Name....
More on transparency in the next blog.......

No comments: