Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Most Excellent Way

Recently I was asked by a friend to share some thoughts on I Cor. 13. This is the chapter of love. I could not talk about love without talking about Golgotha "the place of a skull." The golden text says "For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life."(Jn. 3:16) Paul said "...I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."(Gal. 2:20) And he said "...because of His great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions-it is by grace you have been saved."(Eph. 2:4-5)
I cannot express to you the feeling I had when I stood and literally looked at the "place of a skull" Golgotha. It is here that true love was epitomized. The definition, the explanation, the true illustration is there. The mutilated and scarred body of the Saviour and the beautiful head bowed in death for our shortcomings and sins was the true expression of love.
I have heard it said that the Corinthian church was the most problematic church of any New Testament church. Of course when we compare ourselves with that church we can absolutely and confidently say "God I thank thee that I am not as other men are..."(Lk. 18:11) Yeah, right!
All churches have problems. They have problems because they are composed of problematic people. What makes a church a true Church is the way problems are handled. Jesus dealt with our problems with love. Paul calls that "...The Most Excellent Way..."(I Cor. 12:3)
Paul addressed Corinth about a number of problems and issues. They had preacheritus.(I Cor. 1:11-12) They sought wisdom and signs before Jesus Christ.(I Cor. 1:22-24) There were divisions among them. (I Cor. 1:10) They quarreled and were jealous of one another.(I Cor. 1:11; I Cor. 3:3) They were immature and worldly.(I Cor. 3:1) There was immorality among them.(I Cor. 5:1) Brothers were going to court with one another and getting the government involved in church affairs and business.(I Cor. 6:1) They violated the Lord's Supper.(I Cor. 11:27) The purposes of marriage were being overlooked and diminished and there was divorce.(I Cor. 7:2; 7:5) They were harsh in their judgements of one another.(I Cor. 8:12) Rather than practicing unity they were dis unified.(I Cor. 14:33) And there was more. What a menagerie of folks with a collection of problems. Yet there was a solution. Paul described to them "...The most excellent way..." And it continues to this day as a solution to mens' problems. Sad that it is not sought as the solution in so many cases.
I will look forward to discussing the characteristics of this solution in the future. For love is more than just a word. It is a way of life. It has character. It is displayed in living. It is the ultimate solution. And it does not happen by accident or chance. It is a thing of the will and it costs something. Hopefully, as we look at the characteristics of love depicted by Paul we will see that.

1 comment:

alma said...

Thanks for taking time to share with us as you search the Word. It is refreshing to see through the eyes of someone honest enough to speak the heart of the gospel.