Thursday, August 21, 2008

PSALMS 142:4

EN-GEDI

"Look on my right hand and see, For there is no one who acknowledges me; Refuge has failed me; No one cares for my soul."

It is likely that David made this statement in one of the caves of En-gedi while hiding from Saul who was trying to kill him.

The great commentator, Matthew Henry, said this statement was made by David due to the "...coldness and indifference of his friends..." Henry also said that the "...Psalmist here tells us for our instruction how he was disowned..." "When he was in favor he seemed to have great interest but when he was made an outlaw it was dangerous for anyone to habour him." So Henry concludes "...shallow friends are gone when winter comes..."

It is extremely educational to look at the circumstances that brought David to such a low ebb in his life, and to the point of making such a statement about his circumstances. The Biblical story of this has many stories within the story that bring David to this predicament. And there are so many real life applications. And I believe Matthew Henry was right when he wrote this this is "...for our instruction..."

There are some very fair weather peoople who desert their friends. But of course ultimately they will make no signficant difference in the life of the child of God.

There is a true friend who "...has overcome the world..."(Jn. 16:33) He is the one that really counts and He is the one who is lasting and will never fail. And He is the one who truly cares.(I Pet. 5:7)

He calls us brothers.(Mt. 12:50) He has proven His true friendship. "Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for His friends."(Jn. 15:13) He is "...a friend Who sticks closer than a brother." (Pro. 18:24)

He told His early disciples "You will be betrayed...by...relatives and friends...they will put some of you to death."(Lk. 21:16) Then He made a very comforting statement to them: "But not a hair of your head will be lost."(Lk. 21:18)

Therefore David knew when all seemed to be lost where to turn. He said "When my spirit was overwhelmed within me, then You knew my path..."(Ps. 142:3)

While we were in Israel we walked up the valley of En-gedi to the waterfall at the top. On either side of the valley the canyon walls had numerous caves. I could imagine David being in one of those caves by himself. But man of God that he was he knew God was with him.

Ps. 142:5 "I cry to you, O Lord; I say, "You are my refuge, my portion in the land of the living."


1 comment:

alma said...

There are times, like yesterday, when I read a post nothing stirkes a cord. Then when I re-read it, I think "take another look". I am not sure David always felt God was with him, even though he had the knowledge. We have the same knowledge and quite often cry out with the same cry David had in Psalms 22:1..."My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?". We know He has not but when we are trapped in that small dark cave of loneliness and rejection and sometimes even fear, we doubt. Chapter 22 of Psalms seems to say that.
I might be missing your point, I know David prused God and was a man after God's own heart.